dinsdag 23 maart 2010

Conny 166



The "Ladies behind crystal veil" project will
have an exposition in an art gallery in September.
Art or not - a favourable comment was given when
the arrangements for the exposition were made:
"The portraits are quite natural and they show the
models the way they really are in everyday life".

This is certainly what I intended when this series
of photo shoots started. It's also a counterweight
against the "intrusive" effect of glasses that are not
my models' own glasses and that have a Rx that
differs from the model's own Rx. Before starting
the project, I carefully studied the great work of
Alain from Paris. In his fascinating website "High
Myopic Girls" he creates girls that "exist and don't
exist" at the same time.
In my own project, I take a few steps into Alain's
approach, but the vast majority of my portraits
remains closer to the lady as she is in everyday life.
The obvious tension between natural model and
formula can be seen in my portraits as well, but
in a milder way.
Doing these photo shoots is a massive learning
process. I enjoy experimenting without overdoing it.
My aim is a playful subtleness.

These thoughts ran through my mind when I saw this
lovely and above all, natural portrait of Conny in
"alien" Zenni glasses with a Rx three diopters above
and below her own Rx.
The beauty lies in the contradicition - and yes, that's
what art - or at least a part of it - is all about.
I hesitate to call this an art project, it's only a mild
contradiction in most of the portraits - so let's keep it
at "mild art" for now....

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten